Saturday, September 14, 2024

Exit Slip: Favourite & Least Favourite Teacher

    This week's class was very insightful. I began to picture myself at the front of my very own math classroom. The takeaway message I gathered by the end of this lecture is that there are two types of curriculum, that each teacher needs to implement, in order to be considered a great teacher. One type of curriculum is in current BC classrooms and the other is an introspective stream. Yes, educating students on the math curriculum is important, but a teacher sharing this knowledge with their classroom is also very significant. During this introspective stream, I look within myself and blend experiences that will be grasped with both my students and the material being taught.

    During today's class, we worked on a locker problem that helped me think of methods on how to introduce this type of problem to my classroom. This presents the notion that using introspective skills will help foster brilliant ideas. As a future teacher, I would use the idea of 'think, pair, share' as a tool for my students to brainstorm new ideas, on difficult concepts they are unfamiliar with. That being said, this brings me to speak positively of the great math teachers I have had previously.

    My favourite math teacher was when I was in Grade 2. This was a year, where I had to travel to Jamaica, as my great-grandparents became rather ill. Mrs. Lander, took it upon herself to make sure I was well equipt with class material for all 2 months. I received two big books; one yellow, and the other blue, both consisting of math concepts I would be missing. In Grade 3, students are required to write a test called the EQAO, which is a performance test that measures English and Math IQ scores. Long story short, Mrs. Lander always helped her students with whatever they may need. She definitely took on the mothering role, nurturing her students and using relatable class material.

    In our lecture this week, we spoke about having our math lesson plans relatable to our students. In my future classroom, I believe I will remember the second week significantly, as the concept of 'teacher bird' and 'student bird' resonated with me. As a prospective teacher, my 'teacher bird' or 'teacher hat' is always on, even outside of the classroom, at my local grocer. A teacher is a job, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, the job does not stop. Now, as a prospective teacher, my 'student bird' revolves around collaborative group work. These classroom interactions build a strong community and re-introduce a new concept of 'think, write, pair, share'. During this week's class, being one with nature provided me with peace. I was able to think and brainstorm about the difficult locker problem before pairing up with classmates for a discussion.

    After such a positive class, I really couldn't think of a teacher I disliked. Previous teachers I would consider bad always had positive attributes associated with them. For example, my grade 5 teacher would always yell green line, as we walked throughout the halls of our high school. Although he was an ex-military, he brought value, belief, and character to a school that was lacking control and direction. Growing up in Toronto, sometimes, all it takes is a teacher like Mr. Stewart to help bring structure to a classroom.

Thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Brandon, your reflection is rich with personal insight and thoughtful connections to the teaching profession. I appreciate how you’ve integrated both introspective and practical elements, like the 'think, pair, share' strategy, and related them to your future classroom. Your description of Mrs. Lander’s nurturing approach highlights the importance of a teacher's role in supporting students beyond just academics, which is a powerful takeaway. The way you reflected on Mr. Stewart’s structure and character in his teaching, despite some of his stricter methods, shows your understanding of how different teaching styles can still have positive impacts.

    ReplyDelete