In this passage, the role mathematics plays in the classroom plays a significant theme in this week's reading. Lockhart (2011) stresses the importance of learning mathematics and implementing the curriculum in the classroom. Due to the high stress on learning math, the notion of students loving the subject becomes a highlight for teachers. As a future teacher, that would be my ultimate goal when it pertains to my students. I would want them to feel fulfilled at the end of each class. Which brings me to talk about my Grade 2 teacher, as she brought excitement and relatable aspects of lifestyle into her classroom.
I love that mathematics is seen as art. As a future teacher, I believe all candidates are blank canvases who need to us art to instruct students in forms individualistically. The emphasis is on no ulterior practical purposes, but the act of just playing. Exploration and amusing oneself with their imagination is the beauty of fun, and should be implemented in the universal math classroom. There were plenty of positives within this readiness, basically calling the act of learning mathematics dynamic. As a future teacher, my classroom has to exude the concept of "rich and fascinating adventures of the imagination.".
If I were to comment on a statement of disagreement with Lockhart, it would be where he believes that homework exercises are a sad way to learn math. I disagree with his statements here because I honestly enjoyed those quiet evenings completing math exercises. It provided me with time to learn concepts independently. If my teacher were to ask more challenging questions during a lecture, I would have already understood the concepts due to completing these math questions. There was also a sense of reward and completion once my long list of math exercises were completed.
What I have gathered is that Lockhart stresses the learning of mathematics through the lens of exploration, using artistic art forms to express mathematics. On the other hand, Skemp explores how students understand through a relational and instrumental lens. Lockhart's theory of artistic freedom within the classroom resinates with Skemp's theory on relational understanding. Providing students with the necessary tools and freedom to explore knowledge deeply on topics unfamiliar to them.
Have you thought about topics that can be taught via art in high school math? It could be interesting to explore how artistic approaches can be integrated into different mathematical concepts.
ReplyDelete