Monday, December 16, 2024

End of Term Reflection

    I'm thinking back on the incredible growth that has occurred over this semester as my time in EDCP 342A draws to a close. Going back and reviewing my blog entries has given me a clear perspective on my accomplishments, obstacles, and goals for my future as a teacher. My perspective on teaching mathematics has changed as a result of this course, so I would like to start off with a huge thank you Susan.

    One of the most impactful aspects of this course was the opportunity to reimagine mathematics education. When I first started teaching math, I frequently considered it to be about sharing information, making sure it was accurate. EDCP 342A, however, forced me to think outside of these traditional approaches. Readings like Dancing Euclidean Proofs and Arbitrary and Necessary introduced me to the power of curriculum learning and embodied experiences. These concepts inspired me to view mathematics as a dynamic and cooperative field. I now see how crucial it is to establish links between mathematical ideas and students' real-world experiences in order to foster an environment where learning is relevant and meaningful.

    Reflective thinking has been a recurrent subject in this course. I was able to take a step back and evaluate my learning by writing blog entries, which both highlighted my areas of progress and growth. I've learned the importance of intentionality in teaching from reflecting on my experiences, and I intend to continue this practice throughout my career as a teacher.

    Even though I've come a long way, there are still some things I need to work on. For example, I still need to work on my presentation abilities. As I mentioned in my 432 final blog, I come to understand how important it is to express thoughts confidently and clearly. I want to spend time honing this ability over the holidays since it is crucial to establishing a captivating and productive classroom presence. In addition, I feel a strong need to promote diversity and representation in my classroom as a queer Jamaican-Canadian educator. It hasn't been an easy journey for me but I am a living proof that it is a marathon of a journey, not a sprint. The foundation for thinking about inclusion has been established by this course, but I want to go further into tactics that guarantee every student feels appreciated, noticed, and ready to thrive in mathematics.

    As I conclude, EDCP 342A has been a crucial phase in my development as a teacher candidate. It has forced me to reconsider how I teach, adopt reflective methods, and pinpoint my areas of improvement. I feel better equipped and motivated to work toward my goals of becoming a considerate and inclusive math teacher as I look to the future. I am really appreciative to Susan and my classmates for fostering a stimulating and encouraging learning atmosphere that has helped me develop in unexpected ways.

I thank you all wholeheartedly!




No comments:

Post a Comment