Tuesday, October 8, 2024

Exit Slip: Presentation Analysis + Thinking Mathematically

    The presentation today gave me a terrific opportunity to see the main teaching elements that I can improve on. Respectfully, I found today's class to be informative. The value of time is a key lesson I learned while presenting my mini lesson. This task taught me how crucial it is to have a concise and easy-to-understand lesson plan. 

    Providing students with a lesson plan is one thing but letting them nourish the information in a timely manner comfortably is a tall task. One of the greatest methods for teaching a condensed curriculum is to start with a clear goal, then provide a thorough body with numerous examples that support those goals. My classmates also commented on how well I delivered my activity and even suggested that I should look into a PhysEd teachable. Another great feedback received is to slow my speed in my pitch down. I tend to speak a little fast, so slowing things down is another take-home message received from the graders. There were also occasions while presenting, when I needed to take a pause to fill time. Next time, I will and will make notes on the experience.
 
    When given the opportunity again, I plan to have a lesson plan that is a little more concise. Using an abstract approach to my instruction is also another mindset I plan to have when I present next time. Regarding the section in "Thinking Mathematically," the two things I learned from reading it are the value of expressing emotions and the necessity of using rubrics when facing challenges or feeling stuck.
 
    It is mentioned that generalization creates a link between specific examples and general concepts in mathematics and how it is essential to mathematical reasoning. For better comprehension and problem-solving in mathematics, this approach enables students to connect with concepts to create broader principles and brainstorm new ideas. Therefore, I've determined that generalization is a crucial ability for math instruction and learning as it fosters a closer relationship with theory and improves cognitive flexibility.
 
    The authors also focus on how psychological aspects affect mathematical reasoning, especially in relation to students' determination in dealing with difficult tasks. For example, while evaluating the relationship between the lengths of a rectangle's edges, students are encouraged to detect patterns and develop general rules based on their observations. This method develops critical thinking abilities, which are necessary for complex mathematical reasoning, in addition to improving their comprehension of geometry. The passage mentions that emotional obstacles like dissatisfaction might hinder students' ability to think mathematically, but creating a supportive learning environment can help learners get over these feelings. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment