Monday, September 9, 2024

Skemp's Two Approaches to Teaching and Learning Mathematics

    As the title suggests, I was surprised to learn that there are two forms of understanding. When I reflect on my daily interactions in society, I realize there's a level of relational and instructional understanding. For teachers, having a deep knowledge of the math material is crucial. Students then rely on key concepts to form their understanding. It's reassuring to know that there are specific concepts that summarize this idea.

    I found it interesting that Skemp drew on the idea that students are more concerned with getting the right answers in math rather than the process of finding them. However, I disagree with this viewpoint. In my first week of the teaching program, I have come to believe that it is the teacher's responsibility to create an environment that promotes thorough learning. Developing lesson plans that resonate with students is crucial for ensuring that they can easily recall the course material.

    Let's consider the best approach to teaching mathematics. Should we focus on building conceptual understanding (relational) or use fixed lesson plans (instructional)? As a future educator, my classroom will follow the instructional approach. It will be my responsibility to individualize the content because every teacher has their own unique way of teaching. Creating personal connections with the math curriculum is important.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Brandon! I like your thoughts about not blaming students for seeking right answers, but taking responsibility as teachers for setting up an inquiring atmosphere in class. I'm not quite sure what you mean in the last paragraph about following the 'instructional' approach...is that instrumental, or relational?

    ReplyDelete